Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Steve Popper: Out of the loop, or just plain lazy?

Oh boy Mr. Popper, what is your deal?  You're getting close to passing David Lennon as my bitch... well... not quite.  But still, it's been a rough 3 days for you hasn't it?

Today you wrote:
"...there is a slight debate within the Mets hierarchy over whether to try to keep Nick Evans from facing a trip through the waiver wire by giving him the last spot on the roster."

I'm sure there WAS debate at some point, but maybe, just maybe you should have read this first...  That's right your boy Adam Rubin says you're wrong.  Nick Evans is already on waivers.  Maybe, and this is just a hunch, you should double-check your facts before you go to print?  Or did they not teach you that when you were studying journalism at Barnes & Noble?  I thought Journalism For Dummies might include that chapter.

Your other asshole move of the morning was in this column, where you wrote, "The risk is one the Mets are willing to take because Beltran clearly makes them a better team. Even switching to right field from his customary spot in center, a concession to the knee problems that have lingered since 2008, he still is projected as the Mets’ cleanup hitter — a switch-hitting, powerful presence who when healthy might be the best bat on the team."

Wow.  I actually agree with what you've said here.  So what's my problem?  Well, my problem is, in your column on Sunday you called Beltrán "a shadow of the player he once was" (which I also called you out for... see, I'm consistent).  Wait, so now he's "a switch-hitting, powerful presence," and he "might be the best bat on the team," who "clearly makes them a better team"?  You fuckin' hypocrite!  Are you serious?  Is this legal?  Less than 3 days later, and your opinion is all of a sudden the exact opposite?  Between this bullshit, and your phony Johan Santana story from a couple weeks ago, I honestly can't take you seriously, and I don't know who can.

I'll leave you with this: Another one of your brilliant quotes from this morning's column was, "It’s hard to blame Beltran for feeling he is talked out on the subject, having chronicled his every step for the last two years."

Tell me, whose fault do you think that is?

-Trip McFeely 

No comments:

Post a Comment